Unicorn

Noun: unicorn 'yooni'korn An imaginary creature represented as a white horse with a long horn growing from its forehead. Though the popular image of the unicorn is that of a white horse differing only in the horn, the traditional unicorn has a billy-goat beard, a lion's tail, and cloven hoofs, which distinguish him from a horse. Interestingly, these modifications make the horned ungulate more realistic, since only cloven-hoofed animals have horns.

Friday, September 02, 2005

The ubiquitous mobile

A recent article in Metro Plus states that the Cellular phone is becoming omnipresent. True! There is probably no place left where the din of a cellphone is totally absent. The article didnot vote either for or against the use of the mobile but rather it was just a collection of opinions of people. Most of those who were against the use of the mobile phone seemed to be technophobes where usage of the gadget is the rootcause of the phobia rather than the gadget itself! The rest opined that the cellular phone was invading their privacy. Some said they would be rendered paralyzed at work if they were ever to lose their mobile!

I have been using a mobile since the grand old days when even incoming calls were charged by the minute. After the cellphone came into my life - Thanks to my parents who wanted me to have one, to stay connected - something did change. I stopped memorising phone numbers as the phone book in my cellular phone was doing it for me. My wallet got lighter because I threw away the small phone directory that used to stay in my wallet prior to the entry of the cellular phone into my life. My mobile performs the duty of the alarm clock now-a-days. I was always bad at remembering birthdays of other people. My mom calls me up at 6 AM when ever it is the birthday of one of my family members and then I call them up to wish them. Now-a-days the mobile is doing it for me by giving reminders.

My handset is pretty old one - a Panasonic GD 55 - which I bought in around '99-'00. But there are two features that I am very proud of in this handset: The ringtone that I use ("Cuckoo") which is not found in anyother models and the crystal clear voice that comes out of the speaker when I convene a teleconference with someone using the hands-free option. The only replacement that I made was the battery (about 2 weeks ago).

So am I a cellular phone freak like many others in the city who seem to have the mobile glued to their ear? Did my mobile grow to being an extension of my hand and ear? Certainly not! Yes I DO use the cellular phone in the place of an alarm, scheduler and a diary and it relieves me from the burden of remembering all those events an numbers. If we donot use technology to make lives easier than what good is it for? People complain of invasion of privacy. We always have to remember that it is always us who decide to answer a call. I donot answer calls while Iam having lunch/dinner however important it might be (even from family members)- I always choose to call back after I finish eating if it is very important. I set my mobile in silent mode (no vibrator - no ringtone) when Iam in a meeting or class. I call back after the class. So I dont think the cellphone invades my privacy. When it comes to staying connected - I rarely switch the cellular phone off. I am always in the loop - so as to say- but it is always my option- to answer or not to answer!

Some people see the ubiquitous cellphone as a bane of modern day existence but I would term it as being a necessary evil - You cant live with it, cant do without it either! Iam looking forward to a time where the man and his mobile can peacefully coexist, sans the jarring and weird ringtones that keep disturbing peace for miles around!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home