Unicorn

Noun: unicorn 'yooni'korn An imaginary creature represented as a white horse with a long horn growing from its forehead. Though the popular image of the unicorn is that of a white horse differing only in the horn, the traditional unicorn has a billy-goat beard, a lion's tail, and cloven hoofs, which distinguish him from a horse. Interestingly, these modifications make the horned ungulate more realistic, since only cloven-hoofed animals have horns.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Pune

It was refreshing from this daily routine. A welcome break from this rush hour traffic and extra large roads. A really recuperating 2 day trip. I expected the city to be a center of bustling activity like any other modern metro in India (Especially the ones with software firms dotting the skyline). What I saw was exactly the opposite. No hurry, No jams, No nearly placed traffic lights. The roads were not the usual smooth ones that you would come to expect. They were rough. Even roads inside KPHB would definitely give them a run for their money! They were a little bit narrow for a big city. The hoardings that dotted the skyline through out the 10 kilometer long drive to my brother's office were only that of real estate ventures unlike Hyderabad. The atmosphere was cool. My brother complained about suspended particulate matter being high in the city which is why driving 2 wheelers was inconvenient. I found that the center of the city was under a state of reconstruction with lots of fly-overs coming up. I stayed at my brother's place which was an apartment inside a sprawling complex which overlooked a vast array of farm land - Quite a rarity in a city. Probably it was possible because they were living in Aundh (outskirts of Pune). I was quite surprised to see that there was a 3-hours-a-day power cut! After coming to Hyderabad the word "power cut" seemed to be from another world. Pune to an extent seemed to be like a extra-large town rather than a city. I don't know if my observations hold good for the entire city because I didn't have the time to venture out into the city center. But I felt a certain comfort level in the city which I enjoy in my home town. I would love relocating there if need be.

4 Comments:

At 12/09/2005 12:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

after so many days ?????
i have been to pune 2wice,near NIBM,
mGroad of pune is cool

 
At 12/09/2005 06:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back xena
this, sure is resurrection - II. not heard from you lately? well good to see you post now.
yeah dude, pune is a cool place. it is a well organized city which looks like a big town than a city. u would get a mixture of everything there. i've never been there but heard a lot from my ppl ;-)

 
At 12/09/2005 07:37:00 PM, Blogger Shuuro said...

Nice to find a blogger from hyderabad. Never been to pune, had read somewhere that maratha people call it queen of deccan and its their cultural capital. Hyd is emerging metropolis and pune is satellite city of mumbai, so i think there is no comparison there.

 
At 12/11/2005 02:52:00 PM, Blogger Xenas said...

Nice to know that people were waiting for me blog ... It is a great feeling - Wasn't in the blogging circuit bacause of some pressures

 

Post a Comment

<< Home