Unicorn

Noun: unicorn 'yooni'korn An imaginary creature represented as a white horse with a long horn growing from its forehead. Though the popular image of the unicorn is that of a white horse differing only in the horn, the traditional unicorn has a billy-goat beard, a lion's tail, and cloven hoofs, which distinguish him from a horse. Interestingly, these modifications make the horned ungulate more realistic, since only cloven-hoofed animals have horns.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

"Gulnar"

"Gulnar" - The name that brings water into my mouth. The name of great restaurant in Masab Tank. The restaurant that held out on its own inspite of being in the middle of two heavy weights: Hyderbad House and Hotel Golconda. The door of the restaurant faces the lower end of the Masab tank fly-over at its JNTU end. I found it one fine evening when I was pretty bored with the kind of food being served in my hostel. I went in hoping that my pockets would become lighter. Here I was, fresh from a small town into a big city. Dining at a restaurant of that size and ambience at my place would generally cost a small fortune. But to my pleasant surprise when the waiter handed me the menu card it was right in my range! Gulnar serves authentic Hyderabadi cuisine. The ambience is sure to give any other high class restaurant a run for its money. I loved my first dining experience. I returned in the subsequent weeks and started taking my friends with me. Pretty soon I was turning up at the restaurant very regularly - about twice every week. With the help from Gulnar I was able to forget my woes with the food being served in the hostel. The curry served easily serves two. The bread is (nan and roti) served in really large chunks. I would especially recommend the rumali roti and butter naan with any of the vegetarian curries. The other interesting dishes include a egg fried rice and butter chicken. The only thing where he needs a little improvement is the Biryani (Sad, but true). Otherwise - All in all it would be a perfect dining experience giving you good value for money. After a hearty meal at Gulnar dont forget to visit the juice corner next door. At Rs.12 a glass the "Chaacha" who owns the shop would give you the best Mausambi juice in the city. You can also choose from a wide variety of fruit juices(Carrot juice is also offered) in the offering or order a cocktail of your choice! I visited Masab Tank after a gap of almost 18 months and the taste at Gulnar is still the same. Chaacha still works his "magic" with the juices! If you are a thorough foodie like me I advise you to try this once - I bet you will want to return! If you do not believe me about the pricing try this - 2 butter nans, 1 vegetable jaipuri and a bowl of egg fried rice cost me just Rs. 119!

2 Comments:

At 9/13/2005 06:10:00 PM, Blogger Anil Kurnool said...

It reminded me of my Hyd days.. Thanks for this post dude....

 
At 9/14/2005 08:51:00 AM, Blogger Xenas said...

Hi Anil,

Dont thank me - I have to thank you all guys. I started blogging as a hobby. The comments kept pouring in and when ever I come across a positive comment Iam energized to do more -It fuels my passion. So thank 'you'.
-Raj

 

Post a Comment

<< Home