Unicorn

Noun: unicorn 'yooni'korn An imaginary creature represented as a white horse with a long horn growing from its forehead. Though the popular image of the unicorn is that of a white horse differing only in the horn, the traditional unicorn has a billy-goat beard, a lion's tail, and cloven hoofs, which distinguish him from a horse. Interestingly, these modifications make the horned ungulate more realistic, since only cloven-hoofed animals have horns.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Riots in Pune


The otherwise peaceful city of Pune erupted in Pune over the alleged desecration of a statue of BR Ambedkar ... Some parts of the city had curfew while some parts were partially hit. We had this by-the-hour updates by our operations manager who finally advised all of us in the office to leave home. I was oblivious to all this and was calmly pumping away in the gym (Yes, I am on fast track to fitness through diet and exercise - aim is to reduce my tummy and yet keep the same muscle mass - will tell you all how I did it once I succeed) when all this e-mail conversation took place. From the gym I went to the conference room to attend a meeting where I was surprised to find just two guys ... By the time the meeting was over we three were the only ones left in the office. Once outside the conf room the lights were out through out the building/ They even shut down the air conditioning system. I have never seen the office so deserted and it was just 8.30 PM!! Finally I left the building by about 8.45 PM only to find that I was one among the last software engineers to leave the Hinjewadi IT park - there wasn't another soul on the roads ... Who benefits from the riots? Neither you nor me - Perhaps the rioters themselves -
I heard they are paid for the rioting - But I know one thing for certain: There is one group that always profits whenever there is even a minor riot in Pune ... Thinking about Politicians? No not at all - I am talking about the the rude, idiotic, over-charging - autowallahs ... "Sir dange shuru ho gaye Sir - Bahut risk hogaa - 200 se kam mein nahi jaa sakte". Does fleecing me of a couple of hundred bucks avert the risk of riots? Especially when I am asking him for a location that wasn't affected by riots?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home